The Bible is full of examples of words of knowledge. Not only does it say what it is, but we have examples we can learn from and see how God used it with others. This is a great way of learning about how God will speak to us today as well. Before we look into these examples it would be a good idea to know what a word of knowledge exactly is.
What is a word of knowledge by the Holy Spirit? It’s a specific piece of information/knowledge that God reveals to you. This information is something for the present time or past that you did not know on your own, but God reveals it to you. In a nutshell, this is information that can be for someone in regards to healing, a word to encourage them, or even a word for guidance. Again this is revealed to you by God and was not previous knowledge or information you came up with by yourself. (See 1 Corinthians 12:8)
If you want to learn more about the word of knowledge according to the bible then this is for you. As you continue on, you will see actual biblical scenarios where words of knowledge occurred in scripture. Be encouraged as the Holy Ghost reveals this truth to you in a fresh light!
Table of Contents, Go To...
Examples Of Words Of Knowledge In The Old Testament
Gideon's Three Hundred Men | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
In this example, God is preparing Gideon with words of knowledge and wisdom. God was telling Gideon specific information to guide Him that he would have never known to do if God didn’t speak.
God is basically setting Gideon up for victory by giving the Midianites into his hands. However, God does this by telling him to bring fewer people to the fight. It goes pretty much against any logical battle strategy. God wanted Gideon, along with the people to know that it was God who gave them the victory and not themselves.
- Judges 7:2-8 (KJV) And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me. 3 Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand. 4 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go. 5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. 6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water. 7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place. 8 So the people took victuals in their hand, and their trumpets: and he sent all the rest of Israel every man unto his tent, and retained those three hundred men: and the host of Midian was beneath him in the valley.
As you can see God is giving clear instructions on how He will help him. This came by Gideon hearing the voice of God via a word of knowledge. God is explaining to Gideon what he needs to do right then and there for the victory.
- Judges 7:9-15 (KJV) And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Arise, get thee down unto the host; for I have delivered it into thine hand. 10 But if thou fear to go down, go thou with Phurah thy servant down to the host: 11 And thou shalt hear what they say; and afterward shall thine hands be strengthened to go down unto the host. Then went he down with Phurah his servant unto the outside of the armed men that were in the host. 12 And the Midianites and the Amalekites and all the children of the east lay along in the valley like grasshoppers for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand by the sea side for multitude. 13 And when Gideon was come, behold, there was a man that told a dream unto his fellow, and said, Behold, I dreamed a dream, and, lo, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the host of Midian, and came unto a tent, and smote it that it fell, and overturned it, that the tent lay along. 14 And his fellow answered and said, This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel: for into his hand hath God delivered Midian, and all the host. 15 And it was so, when Gideon heard the telling of the dream, and the interpretation thereof, that he worshipped, and returned into the host of Israel, and said, Arise; for the LORD hath delivered into your hand the host of Midian.
Although God already gave Gideon the victory. God gives Gideon another word of knowledge. He basically gives Gideon the option to just go be victorious or if he is nervous to go the enemy camp and hear what they say. Gideon is nervous so he goes. He hears that the enemy had a dream about how God delivered Midian and all to Gideon. At this point, Gideon was now encouraged.
One thing to notice is God told Gideon to do something that he felt nervous about. Feelings had nothing to do with God’s plan and this word of knowledge was to actually help Gideon trust God and follow through with God’s original gameplan.
The Lord Calls Samuel | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Here God is trying to speak to Samuel. He is giving him a word of knowledge and wisdom. God was teaching Samuel how to hear His voice right at that moment and also give him instructions for future events to come.
- 1 Samuel 3:1-21 (KJV) And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision. 2 And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see; 3 And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep; 4 That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I. 5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down. 6 And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again. 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him. 8 And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child. 9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth. 11 And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. 12 In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end. 13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not. 14 And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli’s house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever. 15 And Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel feared to shew Eli the vision. 16 Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel, my son. And he answered, Here amI. 17 And he said, What is the thing that the LORD hath said unto thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me of all the things that he said unto thee. 18 And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good. 19 And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground. 20 And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD. 21 And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD.
What’s interesting is God spoke to Samuel in a season when there was no open vision.
He also received a word of knowledge and didn’t even know it was from God. God’s voice in this scenario sounded like Eli’s and Samuel didn’t catch on right away. This was a word of knowledge for that present moment to teach and help Samuel hear God’s voice. God used Eli who knew the voice of God to help Samuel to hear in this scenario.
It doesn’t clarify if the voice of God that Samuel heard in this scenario was audible or inward such as a thought. What we do know is it sounded so audible and real to Samuel that he got up 3 times to check if Eli was calling him. Eli, on the other hand, didn’t hear audibly what Samuel was hearing. However, Eli knew it was God.
God also gave him a word of wisdom of things that will happen in the future as well. If you want to see more on that just read this full chapter.
Here is a real-world example of a word of knowledge that you may not have realized. Maybe a parent or a spouse has told you to put your dirty clothes in the hamper cause it bothers them and they need your help to keep the house tidy. One day they aren’t home and your changing clothes but forget to put the clothes in the hamper. As you go to the next room you hear your parent or spouse’s voice saying put your clothes in the hamper. In other words, a thought comes to mind in their tone of voice. This may be a simple word of knowledge from the Lord reminding you to put your clothes in the hamper! He is helping keep you out of the dog house and also helping them keep the house tidy out of love.
Ben-hadad's Siege Of Samaria | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
At this point, there is a great famine throughout the land. The king at that time wanted to kill Elisha. When they were on their way to kill Elisha, God gives him a word of knowledge to prepare him for their coming. At this moment Elisha takes this opportunity to prepare and teach the elders how to hear God speaking to them as well in this same fashion.
- 2 Kings 6:24-33 (ISV) Some time later, King Ben-hadad from Aram mustered his army, invaded the land, and attacked Samaria 25 until there was a great famine throughout Samaria. The siege lasted until a donkey’s head cost 80 silver coins and one quarter of a unit of dove’s dung cost five silver coins. 26 While the king of Israel was walking along the city wall, a woman cried out to him. “Help me, your majesty!” she said. 27 He replied, “No! Since the LORD won’t give you victory, how will I be able to deliver you? From the threshing floor? From the wine press?” 28 Then the king asked her, “What’s bothering you?” She said, “This woman told me, ‘Give up your son, and we’ll eat him today, and we’ll eat your son tomorrow.'” 29 So we boiled my son and ate him. The next day, I told her, ‘Give me your son so we can eat him!’ But she has hidden her son!” 30 When the king heard what the woman said, he ripped his garments as he continued walking along the city wall. As the people watched, all of a sudden they noticed he was wearing sackcloth underneath his clothes, inside next to his flesh! 31 He said, “May God do to me—and more also!—if the head of Shaphat’s son Elisha remains on his shoulders today!” 32 Meanwhile, Elisha was sitting in his house, along with the elders, when the king sent a man to kill him, but before the messenger arrived, Elisha told the elders, “Are you watching how this descendant of murderers has ordered my head be cut off? Look, when the messenger arrives, shut the door and hold it to shut them out! Don’t you hear the sound of his master’s feet right behind him?” 33 While he was still talking with them, the messenger arrived to see him and delivered the king’s message to Elisha, “Look! This evil has come from the LORD! Why should I wait for the LORD anymore?”
Elisha saw and heard what was happening at that present moment. Specifically, he mentions hearing the sounds of feet walking.
He was hearing God, about them trying to kill him. He took that opportunity of hearing a word of knowledge to help teach the elders to hear and see what he was hearing and seeing at that moment.
What’s interesting is, if the elders listened to Elisha then they would also be able to hear and see even though at that moment they didn’t see or hear.
Have you ever thought you heard a sound or a noise that was something familiar to you? Then you thought, “maybe that was a coincidence.” Maybe you thought, “oh I just was daydreaming.” Perhaps it was a coincidence/daydream or maybe it was God trying to speak a word of knowledge to you!
Fallen, Fallen Is Babylon The Call Of Jeremiah | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Isaiah is receiving a vision and word of knowledge from the Lord here concerning the fall of Babylon.
- Isaiah 21:2-4 (KJV) A grievous vision is declared unto me; the treacherous dealer dealeth treacherously, and the spoiler spoileth. Go up, O Elam: besiege, O Media; all the sighing thereof have I made to cease. 3 Therefore are my loins filled with pain: pangs have taken hold upon me, as the pangs of a woman that travaileth: I was bowed down at the hearing of it;I was dismayed at the seeing of it. 4 My heart panted, fearfulness affrighted me: the night of my pleasure hath he turned into fear unto me.
Notice how Isaiah saw and heard something from God in regard to this situation. This type of word of knowledge actually used his natural senses to help reveal a spiritual situation.
He saw a vision that he considered grievous or dire. Sometimes we pass off our imagination as just our thoughts. Sometimes God will use our imaginations to help paint a visual for us to understand what to do and how to respond.
Isaiah also felt something that he considered to be similar to a woman in labor.
Whatever God reveals to us we must always remember to take what is revealed in darkness and reveal it in the light. We must remember to interpret whats giving to us from God in love. We must use the scriptures to filter the meaning/interpretation according to the Bible and what Jesus Christ has promised/accomplished. (See Matthew 10:26-27 & Hebrews 4:12-13)
The Call Of Jeremiah | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
God is basically confirming Jeremiah’s call for his life. I want to point out one specific word of knowledge here.
- Jeremiah 1:11-12 (KJV) Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? And I said, I see a rod of an almond tree. 12 Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it.
At first glance, this doesn’t seem to reveal too much information on how God spoke to Jeremiah. Upon further inspection, the word “almond tree” and “hasten” are very similar. God actually spoke to Jeremiah using a play on words or words that rhymed because that would make sense to Jeremiah’s thinking process.
- “Almond tree” in Hebrew is “shaqed” which is H8247 in the strong concordance.
- “Hasten” in Hebrew is “shaqad” which is H8245 in the strong concordance.
God spoke about a physical object Jeremiah saw which was the almond branch. Then God used the word hasten to specifically confirm the plan for Jeremiah’s life.
More specifically God was saying just how you are watching/looking at that almond branch, I’m watching/looking over my word spoke to you to perform it.
God knows your thought process. He will reveal things to you in such a way that will make sense to you. He knows your process of interpreting what He is saying to you.
Idolatrous Elders Condemned | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Certain elders of Israel came to Ezekiel to consult him. God uses Ezekiel while they were there to expose the truth about how they have idols in their hearts.
He goes on further to explain to any person who has an idol in their heart and comes to consult with a prophet. Then he will use a prophet to respond based on how many idols that person was embracing. This is why God gave him a word of knowledge in this situation.
- Ezekiel 14:1-7 (ISV) Later, some men from the elders of Israel came to visit me. After they had sat down in my presence, 2 this message came to me from the LORD. 3 “Son of Man, these men have taken idols into their hearts. They’ve placed the stumbling block that is their own iniquity right in front of their faces. Should I be consulted by them at all? 4 Therefore, speak up and tell them, ‘This is what the Lord GOD says, “Every person from Israel’s house who follows his idols and sets the stumbling block that is his own sin in front of his face, and then consults a prophet, I the LORD will answer him according to how many idols he embraces. 5 I’ll do this in order to capture the hearts of Israel’s house who have become alienated from me due to all of their idols.“‘” 6 “Therefore you are to tell Israel’s house, ‘This is what the Lord GOD says, “Turn away! Turn away from your idols, and abandon your detestable practices! 7 For when a native Israeli or a resident alien abandons me to set up idols in his heart behind my back, and then places the stumbling block of his iniquity right in front of his own face, then approaches a prophet to inquire of me on behalf of his own self-interest, I, the LORD will answer him myself.
This word of knowledge was basically to expose their sin/idol that these people had and were living a lifestyle of. They assumed it was ok to do these things and that God didn’t mind but God thought otherwise.
God exposed this false belief/idol through Ezekiel. He does this with the motive to win back the hearts of these people. The motive in revealing/exposing this sin/idol in love from Father God. It’s to bring them back to a healthy state/belief apart from those very idols.
In this scenario, if they decided to not turn back to the Lord and continue living with a lifestyle concerning this idol and basically reject God’s advice. Then God will make an example of that individual.
This type of word of knowledge came when the people were close to Ezekiel. Then God revealed to Ezekiel the game plan at the moment about how to handle that situation. (See Matthew 10:19-20 & Luke 21:13-15)
Another valuable lesson is these people coming to Ezekiel. These people wanted to hear from the Lord but the sin/idol in their life was causing them to misinterpret what they thought God was saying. God then had to correct their way of thinking through the prophet. When interpreting words from the Lord or visions etc, we must always use the word to filter the correct interpretation. If we don’t do that then we could end up in the same situation as these people who came to Ezekiel to consult with the Lord. (Hebrews 4:11-13)
Nebuchadnezzar's Dream/God Reveals Nebuchadnezzar's Dream | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
In Daniel Chapter 2 we encounter another word of knowledge.
King Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that kept bothering him. He called all the diviners, enchanters, sorcerers, and Chaldeans to reveal the dream and the interpretation. He wanted them to explain everything without them knowing any information from him specifically.
God reveals the true meaning to Daniel and relays this to Nebuchadnezzar.
Below is a good portion of scripture to help display the scenario. If you just want to know the summary of everything please skip below.
- Daniel 2:13-30 (ISV) When the order went out to kill the advisors, they searched for Daniel and his friends to kill them, too. 14 Daniel responded with wisdom and discretion to Arioch, the king’s executioner, who had gone out to execute the advisors of Babylon. 15 He asked him, “Why such a harsh decree from the king?” Then Arioch informed Daniel, 16 so Daniel went to ask Nebuchadnezzar for an appointment to see him, and it was granted him so that he could reveal the meaning to the king. 17 Then Daniel went home and told his friends Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah about the king’s command. 18 Daniel was seeking mercy, in order to ask about this mystery in the presence of the God of heaven, so that Daniel and his friends might not be executed along with the rest of the advisors of Babylon. 19 When the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision later that night, Daniel blessed the God of heaven 20 and said, “May the name of God be blessed forever and ever; wisdom and power are his for evermore. 21 It is God who alters the times and seasons, and he removes kings and promotes kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. 22 He reveals what is profoundly mysterious and knows what is in the darkness; with him dwells light. 23 To you, God of my ancestors, I give thanks and praise, because you have given me wisdom and power; you have now revealed to me what we asked of you by making known to us what the king commanded.” 24 After this, Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to execute the advisors of Babylon. He told him, “Don’t destroy the advisors of Babylon. Bring me before the king and I’ll explain the meaning to him.” 25 Then Arioch quickly brought Daniel into the king’s presence and informed him: “I’ve found a man from the Judean captives who will make known the meaning to the king.” 26 King Nebuchadnezzar replied by saying to Daniel (whose Babylonian name is Belteshazzar), “Are you able to tell me about the dream and its meaning?” 27 By way of answer, Daniel addressed the king: “None of the advisors, enchanters, diviners, or astrologers can explain the secret that the king has requested to be made known. 28 But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he is making known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in the latter days. “While you were in bed, the dream and the visions that came to your head were as follows: 29 Your majesty, when you were in bed, thoughts came to your mind about what would happen in the future, and the Revealer of Secrets has made known to you what will take place. 30 As for me, this secret was made known to me, not because my own wisdom is greater than anyone else alive, but in order that the meaning may be made known to the king, and that you might understand the thoughts of your heart.
This word of knowledge came to Daniel from God via a dream/vision later that night while he sought God, but there are some key points we should take note of.
God was trying to speak to King Nebuchadnezzar through this dream/vision but he couldn’t interpret the meaning.
He calls for all the advisors of their day to interpret but the advisors need some sort of info about the dream/vision to be able to interpret it.
The king is not foolish and knows that anyone can interpret the meaning of his dream/vision if he told them about it, although the interpretation could also be incorrect if he did that. So he comes up with a plan to weed out the fakers by coming up with an impossible task. He wants them to reveal the dream/vision along with the meaning without him giving away any info.
Daniel is made aware of the scenario when they come to kill him. This is because he is also considered and advisor of those days.
Daniel then tells the king he will reveal the dream/vision and meaning.
Daniel then tells the people he trusts to pray and he goes and seeks God for the answer. Then God gives him the answer. Daniel also gives his thanksgiving and praise to God for giving him the answer. He then lets the king know and how it was God who revealed this to him.
What interesting is God only gave Daniel the secret and interpretation after Daniel sought after God for the answer. Sometimes God will tell you something without you asking but other times you must ask God a specific question to get a specific answer. In this case, he was asking God specifically what the king’s dream was and the interpretation of the dream. God didn’t disappoint.
These are just a few examples from the Old Testament about words of knowledge. Let’s now take a moment to see some examples from the New Testament.
Examples Of Words Of Knowledge In The New Testament
The Conversion Of Saul | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
In this scenario, God gives Ananias a word of knowledge concerning Paul and him becoming born again.
Ananias is concerned cause Paul used to torment the followers of Jesus and now Jesus is about to convert Paul. Ananias is playing a key role in this conversion.
- Acts 9:10-18 (KJV) And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. 11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth, 12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight. 13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: 14 And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name. 15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: 16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake. 17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
What’s cool about this scenario is Ananias received a word of knowledge through a vision about Paul. Paul received a word of knowledge as well through a vision about Ananias. God is always setting plans in motion!
They both received a word of knowledge from God about each other!
What’s unique about this word of knowledge is also from Anania’s perspective. He was looking according to things of the past about Paul and how he persecuted the church. He was double checking if he was hearing God right because this didn’t make sense to him from a natural way of thinking. That didn’t stop God from saving and accepting Paul into the family. Ananias also trusted God more at this moment than his natural thought process concerning things he knew about Paul’s past.
Also, notice God’s heart for Paul. A man who in times past caused so much pain and sorrow for the church by persecuting them. God’s heart and the motive was love for Paul. Ananias knew God’s heart and therefore was ultimately able to act on what God requested. Although his thoughts and feelings at the time tried to hold him back.
Sometimes when God gives us a word of knowledge it won’t make sense to us naturally for one reason or another. Perhaps you know something in the natural that makes you ask God a second time just to be sure you heard Him right! God’s love for people is mind-boggling sometimes. There will be certain scenarios when you will have to trust God over your feeling and take a step out in love.
God had this setup from the beginning with Paul and Ananias. You got to admit that’s pretty sweet!
Paul's Concern For The Galatians | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
In Galatians chapter 4 Paul is pleading his case to the believers that live there. Paul receives a word of knowledge to help get a message across to them.
In a nutshell, these people started off their walk by believing in Jesus Christ. They believed they were righteous by faith through Jesus’s finish work. Later they began to be taught by another type of doctrine where they began to believe they are justified by their works of the law. Paul then has to correct their way of thinking/belief. (Can also check Galatians chapter 3)
- Galatians 4:16-20 (KJV) Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? 17 They zealously affect you, but not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them. 18 But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you, 20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.
While Paul is writing this letter to them he feels as if he is going through birth again for these believers. He first taught them strong foundational teaching through faith in Jesus Christ. This is a type of word of knowledge that God gave him via a feeling for this particular group of people. At this particular time.
Notice he is also delivering this message to them based around this feeling. It’s a feeling that God gave him because he knew Paul would address these people in love as a mother would their child.
In other words, this word of knowledge helped set the tone of the letter from Paul to them. It also helped Paul to know the state of where these people were at.
If you receive a specific type of feeling it may be God giving you a word of knowledge. You must filter these feelings through the word of God and what Jesus has done to accurately be able to interpret what God is revealing to you. (See Hebrews 4:14-16)
Thanksgiving And Prayer | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Here is a letter from Paul and Timothy to the Philippians. They basically receive a word of knowledge from God concerning prayer for them.
- Philippians 1:3-11 (KJV) I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
You probably have read this scripture before and never realized this was actually a word of knowledge to Paul and Timothy.
God was actually bringing thoughts to their remembrance about what to pray for these people. (See John 14:25-26)
He also talks about the longing and compassion he has for them. This also came from God to help guide them to know exactly how to pray for the Philippians right then and there.
Sometimes God will give you a word of knowledge by bringing something to your remembrance via a thought. Although this may seem too simple or too easy, it’s still a word from God! So pay attention and be on the lookout.
The Lesson From The Withered Fig Tree | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Here, God the Father reveals a word of knowledge to Peter about the fig tree.
In summary, Jesus went over to the fig tree to look for fruit. When there was no fruit on it he cursed the fig tree and they all moved on. Nothing noticeably happened that could be seen by physical eyesight yet.
- Mark 11:20-26 (KJV) And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. 21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away. 22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. 23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. 24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. 25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
This word of knowledge came to Peter through a thought that God brought to his remembrance.
The reason was that God wanted to help teach and show Peter a valuable lesson he would be able to use in his daily life in Christ Jesus.
Again God used Peter’s thoughts to speak to him and remind him. He will use you this way too! (See John 14:25-26)
Guard The Deposit Entrusted To You | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
This word of knowledge came to Paul to help encourage Timothy in his calling that God gave him.
- 2 Timothy 1:3-10 (KJV) I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; 4 Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; 5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also. 6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
Paul receives a word of knowledge via the thought that God reminds him about. This is to help him know how to pray for Timothy and also what to address to him.
God also gives Timothy this word through Paul about a scenario where he laid hands on him in the past. God is trying to remind Timothy of this situation/calling that was placed upon his life as well.
This word of knowledge was to help Paul know how to pray and also to remind and encourage Timothy.
This isn’t all the words of knowledge in the New Testament but enough to get you thinking. I now want to point out some more words of knowledge that came from the king of kings himself, Jesus Christ! Who is every born again believers Lord and savior!
Examples Of Words Of Knowledge From Jesus
Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Here, Jesus receives a word of knowledge about what the Pharisees were thinking.
A person who was possessed by a spirit was not able to see or speak and was brought to Jesus. Jesus then heals him and sets him free.
The Pharisees, however, believed Jesus healed them by the power of Beelzebub, instead of by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 12:22-32 (KJV) Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. 23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? 24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. 25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. 29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. 30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
This word of knowledge came to Jesus by a knowing. Jesus knew the thoughts/heart of the Pharisees. He knew exactly what they were thinking.
Jesus took this “knowing” and brought the truth to them in this situation.
Let me give you an example similar to this “knowing”. Have you ever had a spouse, parent, or even a friend say this to you near their birthday? “You don’t have to get me anything for my birthday.” You and I both “know” we still should get them a gift. This is kind of similar to a word of knowledge where you just know it.
The Triumphal Entry | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Jesus receives a word of knowledge here about a donkey. He then tells the 2 disciples to go get it. He further explains what they should say and do if anyone asks what there doing.
- Luke 19:28-35 (KJV) And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem. 29 And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount called the mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, 30 Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. 31 And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him. 32 And they that were sent went their way, and found even as he had said unto them. 33 And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt? 34 And they said, The Lord hath need of him. 35 And they brought him to Jesus: and they cast their garments upon the colt, and they set Jesus thereon.
It’s not exactly clear how Jesus received this word of knowledge/word of wisdom. However, when he got near to Bethphage and Bethany it seems that may have been the moment he received it. This is because at this moment He sent the two disciples and gave them the instructions on what to do when they bring the colt.
There is also a verse which states this was done to fulfill scripture. We know Jesus taught from the scroll of Isaiah in the temple so He must have also known about this prophecy from the scripture. (See Matthew 21:4 & Luke 4:16-20)
I believe there are times that God will use you and you may not even realize it. For example, God may not give you a specific word cause He already knows your going to speak the right thing at the moment. He knows this because He already revealed/taught it to you through the scripture in your alone time with Him. He will cause you to speak the right thing based on what you know from the scriptures. If your about to say something that is off by accident. I believe in that very moment God will speak to you and correct you before you say something wrong. If necessary, He will correct right then and there so your words line up with His and don’t fall to the ground. This is another type of word of knowledge
Jesus Heals A Woman And Jairus's Daughter | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
This word of knowledge came to Jesus when He was on His way to go heal Jairus’s daughter.
Along the way, many people were touching Jesus and his clothes. Then the lady with the issue of blood touched Him and she was healed.
- Mark 5:22-34 (KJV) And, behold, there cometh one of the rulers of the synagogue, Jairus by name; and when he saw him, he fell at his feet, 23 And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live. 24 And Jesus went with him; and much people followed him, and thronged him. 25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years, 26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, 27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment. 28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. 29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. 30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes? 31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? 32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing. 33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. 34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
This word of knowledge was a knowing inside Jesus along with a feeling of virtue leaving Jesus’s body.
Although many people were touching Him, this woman touched Jesus by faith. The result of that caused her to be healed from the disease she had. He also knew it was her, who touched him.
Right at that very moment of her being healed by faith, was the very moment Jesus received the word of knowledge.
Jesus Calls The First Disciples/Jesus Calls Philip And Nathanael | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
Here, Jesus receives a word of knowledge/wisdom for picking the disciples.
- John 1:40-51 (ISV) Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and say to him, “We have found the Anointed One!” (which is translated “Messiah”). 42 He led Simon to Jesus. Jesus looked at him intently and said, “You are Simon, John’s son. You will be called Cephas!” (which is translated “Peter”). 43 The next day Jesus decided to go away to Galilee, where he found Philip and told him, “Follow me.” 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the hometown of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip found Nathaniel and told him, “We have found the man about whom Moses in the Law and the Prophets wrote—Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Nazareth.” 46 Nathaniel asked him, “Out of Nazareth? Can anything good come from there?” Philip told him, “Come and see!” 47 Jesus saw Nathaniel coming toward him and said about him, “Look, a genuine Israeli, in whom there is no deceit!” 48 Nathaniel asked him, “How do you know me?”Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, while you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” 49 Nathaniel replied to him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” 50 Jesus told him, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than that.” 51 Then he told him, “Truly, I tell all of you with certainty, you will see heaven standing open and the angels of God going up and coming down to the Son of Man.”
At first glance, it seems like this whole situation is just randomly playing out. However, Jesus is being guided by the Holy Spirit to pick the disciples.
This word of knowledge/wisdom was used to help Jesus pick the disciples.
When Simon (Peter) comes to Jesus, Jesus knows His name without anyone telling Him.
When Jesus walks by Philip, He knows that’s one of the chosen disciples and tells him to follow.
When Nathanael comes to Jesus, Jesus reveals a characteristic of Nathanael to Nathanael. He then goes on to tell Nathanael where he was at a few moments before.
Sometime God will tell you something specific about a person to help encourage them and let them know that God knows who they are, along with their purpose in life!
There are more words of knowledge that Jesus received that we could discuss here. However, I hope this sparks an interest in you to further dive into the word of God, the Bible, to see what those words of knowledge are. Also, remember God will speak to you the same way! So make sure to keep an open ear to the Holy Spirit and what He may be trying to speak to your heart!
One last thing to remember. God loves us to take steps of faith and trust what He is revealing to us. We must make sure when taking these steps of faith that our heart motive is love for the people and that it lines up with the Bible/word of God!
Bible Scripture Reference
- Examples of Words of Knowledge in the Bible
- 1 Corinthians 12:8
- Examples of Words of Knowledge in The Old Testament
- Gideon’s Three Hundred Men | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Judges 7:2-8
- Judges 7:9-15
- The Lord Calls Samuel | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- 1 Samuel 3:1-21
- Ben-hadad’s Siege Of Samaria | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- 2 Kings 6:24-33
- Fallen, Fallen Is Babylon | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Isaiah 21:2-4
- Matthew 10:26-27
- Hebrews 4:12-13
- The Call Of Jeremiah | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Jeremiah 1:11-12
- Idolatrous Elders Condemned | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Ezekiel 14:1-7
- Matthew 10:19-20
- Luke 21:13-15
- Hebrews 4:11-13
- Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream/God Reveals Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Daniel Chapter 2
- Daniel 2:13-30
- Gideon’s Three Hundred Men | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Examples Of Words Of Knowledge In The New Testament
- The Conversion Of Saul
- Acts 9:10-18
- Paul’s Concern For The Galatians | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Galatians chapter 4
- Galatians 4:16-20
- Galatians chapter 3
- Hebrews 4:14-16
- Thanksgiving And Prayer | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Philippians 1:3-11
- John 14:25-26
- The Lesson From The Withered Fig Tree | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Mark 11:20-26
- John 14:25-26
- Guard The Deposit Entrusted To You | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- 2 Timothy 1:3-10
- The Conversion Of Saul
- Examples Of Words Of Knowledge From Jesus
- Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit
- Matthew 12:22-32
- The Triumphal Entry | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Luke 19:28-35
- Matthew 21:4
- Luke 4:16-20
- Jesus Heals A Woman And Jairus’s Daughter | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- Mark 5:22-34
- Jesus Calls The First Disciples/Jesus Calls Philip And Nathanael | Word Of Knowledge In The Bible
- John 1:40-51
- Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit
Be Blessed In Jesus Name
It’s my heart’s desire to be able to do ministry full time by the grace of God! It would be impossible without the Lord’s help but with God this is possible. Jesus freely gave and also had people who partnered with Him. By you partnering with the Lord Jesus Christ in this ministry it will help free up time for me to pour into resources to help the body of Christ! Here are some things I plan on doing to help the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit.
- Writing blog posts/books/Christian resources
- Create video-based content on various platforms/social media to help, teach, and encourage the body of Christ
- Create Christian-based applications/programs and possibly games
- And more! etc…
That being said perhaps you can’t donate at this moment but still want to support what God is doing in some way. If so you can bless this ministry by following JesusBelieverJD on any of the social media platforms or joining the newsletter. There is a lot of good news to be spread about Jesus and the Kingdom of God and it would be a tremendous blessing to this ministry if you’re able to share these resources continually with others!
✝️ Please Share This Ministry With Your Family, Friends, And Throughout Your Social Media Network Today. 🙏😌
👉 You Can Support What God Is Doing In This Ministry On Social Media By Giving Likes, Commenting, Inviting Others To Check Out The Content, And By Following! This Helps The Algorithm Get This Bible Based Content About Jesus To Others!
👉 Ask God About Donating/Giving Here And What You’re Able To Give/Sow Cheerfully! If You’re Unable To Give Cheerfully Here Then Please Take That Seed And Support Another Member Of The Body Of Christ Based On God’s Leading.
👉 Subscribe To The JesusBelieverJD Newsletter As Well To Stay Up To Date!
👉 Checkout The JesusBelieverJD Store!
👉 Thank You & Be Blessed In Jesus Name! 🙏 😌 👍 ✝️ 🙌
Spread The Good News By Sharing
In Matthew chapter 1 the scripture goes through the genealogy of Jesus Christ. This goes from Abraham all the way to Jesus. The generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations. The generations from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations. Also, from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen
The mind is the place where thoughts can come from above or beneath. So why does God tell the born again believer to set your affections on things above? God tells the believer to set their affection or mind on things above because He knows they are now risen with Christ seated in heavenly places.
There was a Gentile man in the Bible who was possessed by Legion. What is the significance of Jesus’s encounter with this man? When Jesus arrived at Gadarenes the man possessed by Legion ran to Jesus, bowed down, and worshipped Him. Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit which trembled in fear of God. Jesus asks him
Satan had no chance against the Lord Jesus Christ. The truth is Jesus already won and put the Devil underneath His feet. That being said, is the enemy under our feet as well? The only way for the serpent, Satan, to be put under a person’s feet is through the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus came
When most people hear the term falling in love they think of this from a natural standpoint. That being said I want to explain falling in love from a Biblical standpoint which you may not have heard before. So what does it mean to fall in love with God? The Bible defines love as God.
When it comes to the topic of God’s will in regard to healing a lot of people wonder. Especially if they are in need of physical healing themself. Some read the Bible and see what it says but then question what is written because of something else they see in the world. So is it