Jesus was walking by two brothers which was Simon who is also known as Peter and Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea because they were fisherman and Jesus spoke this to them in Matthew 4:19…
- Matthew 4:19 (KJV) And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
What an interesting statement from the Lord. Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Jesus spoke to these two brothers in such a way that they could grasp what He was saying. Let’s go over some things about this statement which will be a blessing to you from the Lord.
Table of Contents, Go To...
What Can A Fisher Of Men Expect While Following Jesus?
Jesus wants to make those who follow Him fishers of men. He will cause them to become good fishers of people. Now obviously He is speaking about saving people through Him while giving us a statement for us to ponder. What can a fisher of men expect while fishing with the Lord Jesus Christ?
Those who fish with Jesus will experience something similar to a fisherman going fishing for fish.
- A fisherman prepares his gear and equipment before heading out to fish.
- A fisherman expects the fish to put up a fight and resist being caught.
- A fisherman enjoys going fishing regardless of the weather. It doesn’t matter if it’s rain, shine, or snow.
- A fisherman enjoys the wrestle from a big fish and landing the catch. They are happy sharing the good news of the catch with others.
- A fisherman even after fish breaks the line and gets away continues fishing knowing there are more fish to be caught.
- A fisherman enjoys fishing even if the fish arent biting because they are on the water.
- A fisherman like to go fishing with their buddies but also likes to go fishing alone.
When thinking about some of these things that normal fisherman experiences we begin to see a clearer picture of fishing for men with the Lord Jesus.
We should expect to be prepared before heading out to fish. We should study The Word of God to show yourself approved.
- 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
We should expect that some people will put a fight. I mean when is the last time a fish bit a hook and didn’t try to get away? The carnal is enmity against God, yet God is after their soul. Even knowing that they will put up a fight Jesus still fought the good fight of faith to help them. So remember when fishing for men do not fight the same way the fish is fighting you but rather overcome evil with good.
- Romans 8:7 (KJV) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
- Proverbs 11:30 (KJV) The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- Psalms 72:13-14 (KJV) He shall spare the poor and needy, and shall save the souls of the needy. 14 He shall redeem their soul from deceit and violence: and precious shall their blood be in his sight.
- 1 Timothy 6:11-12 (KJV) But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
A fisherman is ready to fish regardless of the weather. There will be times when it rains, it snows, it’s sunny, or even cold. Regardless they are ready to go fish. The external circumstances could not shake the internal drive to go out and fish. This goes for fishing for people as well.
- Proverbs 20:4 (KJV) The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.
- Luke 6:47-48 (KJV) Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
- Ephesians 3:14-19 (KJV) For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
A fisherman who hooks a big fish with a lot of fight are excited about the process. The fish may try to tire out the fisherman but once that fish is landed they are smiling. There will be times when people put up a big fight but we understand that the wrestle isn’t with flesh and blood, but rather the lie in which the person was told and believes at that time. So remember during the process of giving people the kingdom of God to not fight back the way they fight you. Rather overcome evil with good and let the truth destroy the lie in which they were told. It’s amazing to see such a person brought into the kingdom when the lie of the devil is destroyed! So rejoice in the goodness and grace of God and continue sharing the news about Jesus.
- Luke 9:25 (KJV) For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- John 8:44 (KJV) Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
- Matthew 10:7-8 (KJV) And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
- 1 John 3:8 (KJV) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
- Luke 15:6-7 (KJV) And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. 7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
There will be times where the fish breaks the line and runs away. There will be times where it feels like that fish could be lost forever. The same goes with people. Don’t lose hope pray for them in love with the hope they will be saved. Knowing this that some sow and some reap but god brings the increase. It’s possible that fish may be caught another day. However the fisherman knows there are still more fish which are waiting to be caught. So don’t be discouraged when one person runs away during that season. Trust God that He will bring increase and the next fish for you to witness to and love by having them grab hold of your line.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (KJV) Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
- 1 Corinthians 3:5-7 (KJV) Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
- Luke 10:2 (KJV) Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
- John 6:44 (KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
There is a time where the fisherman doesn’t experience any bites. There is a time when they are on the water alone in silence. They are resting wanting a bite but are enjoying the time of peace while they experience the creation of God all around them in nature. There is time to fish and a time to be with the Lord alone. Learn to enjoy both experiences with Jesus.
- Luke 6:12 (KJV) And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
- Mark 3:13-15 (KJV) And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would: and they came unto him. 14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, 15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
- Matthew 6:6 (KJV) But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
- Matthew 14:23 (KJV) And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
- Mark 1:35 (KJV) And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
There are times when your buddies may be fishing with yah and other days when they want to sleep in. Regardless you want to go fishing and therefore head out with joy. There will be times when you can fish for men with your brethren but other times when you are alone fishing with the Lord.
- Luke 10:1-2 (KJV) After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. 2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
- Mark 14:39-40 (KJV) And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words. 40 And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him.
- John 4:6-8 (KJV) Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour. 7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. 8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
- Galatians 1:15-19 (KJV) But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace, 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: 17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. 19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord’s brother.
The Lord Jesus is looking for those who are ready to fish. He is looking for those who will follow Him. He want’s to teach you His ways and for you to enjoy the process of fishing with Him. He want’s to catch some people along the way. So remember to count the cost and be ready for what the Lord has planned for today!
- Luke 14:25-33 (KJV) And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, 30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
Are you ready to go fishing with the Lord Jesus? Will you be His disciple? Are you ready to become a fisher of men?
Much love in Jesus name!
Bible Scripture Reference
- Jesus Said Follow Me And I Will Make You Fishers Of Men
- Matthew 4:19
- What Can A Fisher Of Men Expect While Following Jesus
- Matthew 4:19
- 2 Timothy 2:15
- Romans 8:7
- Proverbs 11:30
- Psalms 72:13-14
- 1 Timothy 6:11-12
- Proverbs 20:4
- Luke 6:47-48
- Ephesians 3:14-19
- Luke 9:25
- Ephesians 6:12
- John 8:44
- Matthew 10:7-8
- 1 John 3:8
- Luke 15:6-7
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- 1 Corinthians 3:5-7
- Luke 10:2
- John 6:44
- Luke 6:12
- Mark 3:13-15
- Matthew 6:6
- Matthew 14:23
- Mark 1:35
Be Blessed In Jesus Name
It’s my heart’s desire to be able to do ministry full time by the grace of God! It would be impossible without the Lord’s help but with God this is possible. Jesus freely gave and also had people who partnered with Him. By you partnering with the Lord Jesus Christ in this ministry it will help free up time for me to pour into resources to help the body of Christ! Here are some things I plan on doing to help the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit.
- Writing blog posts/books/Christian resources
- Create video-based content on various platforms/social media to help, teach, and encourage the body of Christ
- Create Christian-based applications/programs and possibly games
- And more! etc…
That being said perhaps you can’t donate at this moment but still want to support what God is doing in some way. If so you can bless this ministry by following JesusBelieverJD on any of the social media platforms or joining the newsletter. There is a lot of good news to be spread about Jesus and the Kingdom of God and it would be a tremendous blessing to this ministry if you’re able to share these resources continually with others!
✝️ Please Share This Ministry With Your Family, Friends, And Throughout Your Social Media Network Today. 🙏😌
👉 You Can Support What God Is Doing In This Ministry On Social Media By Giving Likes, Commenting, Inviting Others To Check Out The Content, And By Following! This Helps The Algorithm Get This Bible Based Content About Jesus To Others!
👉 Ask God About Donating/Giving Here And What You’re Able To Give/Sow Cheerfully! If You’re Unable To Give Cheerfully Here Then Please Take That Seed And Support Another Member Of The Body Of Christ Based On God’s Leading.
👉 Subscribe To The JesusBelieverJD Newsletter As Well To Stay Up To Date!
👉 Checkout The JesusBelieverJD Store!
👉 Thank You & Be Blessed In Jesus Name! 🙏 😌 👍 ✝️ 🙌
Spread The Good News By Sharing
There was a certain scribe who came to Jesus and wanted to follow Him wherever He went. Jesus responded about how the Son of man had no place to rest His head. What exactly did Jesus mean when He said the Son of man had no place to lay His head? The Son of man
In Matthew chapter 1 the scripture goes through the genealogy of Jesus Christ. This goes from Abraham all the way to Jesus. The generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations. The generations from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations. Also, from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen
The mind is the place where thoughts can come from above or beneath. So why does God tell the born again believer to set your affections on things above? God tells the believer to set their affection or mind on things above because He knows they are now risen with Christ seated in heavenly places.
There was a Gentile man in the Bible who was possessed by Legion. What is the significance of Jesus’s encounter with this man? When Jesus arrived at Gadarenes the man possessed by Legion ran to Jesus, bowed down, and worshipped Him. Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit which trembled in fear of God. Jesus asks him
Satan had no chance against the Lord Jesus Christ. The truth is Jesus already won and put the Devil underneath His feet. That being said, is the enemy under our feet as well? The only way for the serpent, Satan, to be put under a person’s feet is through the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus came
When most people hear the term falling in love they think of this from a natural standpoint. That being said I want to explain falling in love from a Biblical standpoint which you may not have heard before. So what does it mean to fall in love with God? The Bible defines love as God.