At some point or another, a Christian is going to come across the term being baptized into Jesus Christ’s death. At first thought, this may sound strange, bizarre, or even confusing. Hearing it for the first time may trigger a thought of simply being religious lingo and get shrugged off. However, being Baptized into Jesus’s death is vital for every born again believer to understand!
What Does It Mean To Be Baptized Into Jesus Death? When a person gets born again they are baptized into Jesus Christ’s death. The old carnal person of the flesh, with the sin nature, is crucified with Jesus. That the body of sin is destroyed, so we no longer serve sin. The person that is dead is freed from sin through Jesus Christ! (Romans 6:3-7)
- Romans 6:3-7 (KJV) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Knowing this truth about being baptized into Jesus Christ death we begin to see other verses in a new light perspective. The Bible/Jesus references this very thing throughout scripture. As you continue to read the Holy Spirit will begin to unravel this and teach you this truth!
Table of Contents, Go To...
Baptized Into Jesus Death | The Old Carnal Man Dies
To better understand this let’s look at what happened with Jesus Christ’s death. Jesus came to deal with the sin issue for us because He loves us. He knew people were in bondage to sin and born into sin because of Adam. This means people are born with a sin nature and that old man is a slave to sin!
- Romans 5:12 (KJV) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
- Romans 6:20 (KJV) For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
If sin is the old man’s nature, then what are they bound to do? Sin! Think of it like this, does someone need to tell a dog how to bark? Does someone need to teach a cat to meow? What about teaching a fish to swim? No they naturally do it cause it’s who they are, it’s in their nature! Well in the same way every man born into this world is bound to sin because that’s who they are! They have a sin nature!
God knows this is the state of man after the fall and loves us so much He comes down as Jesus to fix the situation. Jesus was born into this world with the goal of destroying that old man with the sin nature and resolving the problem for us. Jesus who knew no sin became sin for us and condemn sin in the flesh! He destroyed the body of sin for us, those who believe and follow Him!
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- Hebrews 4:15 (KJV) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
- Romans 8:3-4 (KJV) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Jesus came in the likeness of sinful flesh and beat it to death! Notice Jesus didn’t let the flesh tell him what to do. He beat it! He crucified it! He destroyed it! All with the intention of setting us free from it!
- John 10:17-18 (KJV) Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
- Matthew 27:26 (KJV) Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.
- John 19:1 (KJV) Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him.
- Mark 15:15-20 (KJV) And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified. 16 And the soldiers led him away into the hall, called Praetorium; and they call together the whole band. 17 And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head, 18 And began to salute him, Hail, King of the Jews! 19 And they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him. 20 And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him.
Don’t be fooled, Jesus chose willingly to lay down his life! He chose to beat the flesh! He chose to force the flesh to submit to the plan of God! He chose to crucify the flesh! Why? He loves you and knew you would be baptized into the likeness of his death!
- Hebrews 12:2 (KJV) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Romans 6:3 (KJV) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
There are a lot of born again believers that don’t know or understand that when they were born again through Jesus Christ that they were also baptized into his death. Jesus died for us so we can live in him, in Christ!
When a person gets born again the old carnal man they use to be gets crucified to the cross and dies. They are baptized into the death of Jesus Christ. That old man of the flesh no longer has anything to do with their new identity in Christ!
Don't You Know You Were Baptized Into Jesus Christ Death?
When Paul spoke to some born again believers, he asked them the question about being baptized into Christ’s death.
- Romans 6:3 (KJV) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
These specific believers didn’t think this way. They thought that they were still alive in the old man and this was causing some issues in their walk. Paul was trying to help them understand that the old carnal man in the flesh with the sin nature died through Jesus. He told them they need to think that the old man is dead and buried!
- Romans 6:7-14 (KJV) For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Scripture says to reckon or consider or think yourself to be dead to sin. Since this is what The Word says, is it wrong to say that God thinks this way about you now through Jesus Christ? Is it wrong to say that sin will not have dominion over you now since you’re in Christ? Of course not, God already knows this and wants you to believe it! That why it’s written!
Paul understood what happened to him in Christ Jesus. Paul recognized that the old man is dead now and we are considered alive now unto God through Christ. Paul wanted others to believe and trust God through Jesus Christ as well so they can live and be free!
What’s it look like for the old carnal man with the sin nature to be dead? Imagine a dead body on the floor in the following scenarios.
- A person comes over to the dead body and beats it up, curses it out and calls it horrible names. Whats the dead body do? Nothing.
- A person comes over to the dead body and begins to flatter it and give it all these amazing compliments. Whats the dead body do? Nothing.
- A person comes over to the dead body and offers it some drugs and says the first ones on the house. Whats the dead body do? Nothing.
- A person comes over to the dead body and begins undressing and dancing in front of it sexually. What does the dead body do? Nothing.
Why does the dead body do nothing? It’s easy dead bodies are dead. They usually are buried or cremated or just rot away. Dead bodies no longer have any control in life because they are dead.
You see the old carnal man use to be “alive” and would animate your earthen body. However, when you get born again that old carnal man is destroyed and dead. You are now considered alive in Christ Jesus via the new man.
- Romans 7:1-6 (KJV) Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
- Colossians 3:1-10 (KJV) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. 8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
As long as the old carnal man is alive he is bound to sin because it’s who he is. That old man of the flesh has the sin nature and therefore sins. The only way this old man can die and be destroyed is through Jesus Christ!
Think That The Old Man Is Buried With Jesus Christ
Remember what a dead man does? Nothing because it’s no longer alive. The dead man no longer has dominion. The old man passes away and all things become new. God tells us to think this way and renew our minds to this truth!
- Romans 12:2 (KJV) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- Colossians 1:13-14 (KJV) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
- Colossians 3:10 (KJV) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
God tells us this because the old man is dead and buried with Jesus. That old man’s flesh was crucified with Christ and the body of sin is destroyed. God knows that and wants us to believe it and live free in the new man while on earth!
He says this because the carnal mind wants you to think that the old man is still alive and is who you are. The carnal mind is a liar and if you believe him you will walk out the old man’s realities while on earth. Take every lying thought captive to the obedience of Christ!
- Romans 8:7 (KJV) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (KJV) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- John 10:5 (KJV) And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
- Hebrews 4:12 (KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Don’t be fooled. Just because a person is born again doesn’t mean every thought comes is considered theirs! This is why God tells us to renew our minds to what God says now according to what is written. The old dead man will try to speak to you and try to make you think you’re the old man. That’s a lie if you’re born again.
Remember God says when you got born again that that old man died and is baptized into Jesus Christ death. God now says you’re a new man alive in Christ. Believing this will have an outward reflection in your walk in Christ!
So any thought/feeling that comes trying to claim you still have desires of the old man such as, you’re not free from sin but will always be in bondage, or the body of sin wasn’t destroyed is a lie. Take those thoughts captive to what God said! That old carnal man of sin no longer has dominion over you cause Jesus destroyed him and buried him!
What’s it look like to be dead to sin? Jesus is our example so let’s see what he did.
- Matthew 4:1-11 (KJV) Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. 3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. 11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
Every time the lying tempter Satan came to Jesus it had no effect. Jesus knew who he was. Jesus knew what was written about Himself. Therefore whenever the tempter came then Jesus responded with it is written because that’s the truth! It didn’t matter to Jesus if a feeling of temptation or if a carnal thought came etc because He knew what was written. Jesus trusted and fulfilled what was written about Him.
- Mark 14:49 (KJV) I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.
- Luke 22:37 (KJV) For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
- John 6:44-45 (KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
Wherever the lie comes from. Whether it be a friend, a stranger, or a thought. Remember what is written in the word of God and trust that. Every other thought that is enmity towards God take captive to the obedience of Christ!
Know what is written about the old carnal man once you’re born again. The old man with a sin nature. The old man with the carnal flesh. The old man with the carnal mind. The old man with carnal desires. Know that the old man is buried and baptized into Jesus Christ Death once you’re born again! That carnal flesh is crucified with Christ that the body of sin is destroyed! You’re no longer that old man but are a new creation in Christ Jesus! You’re now the temple of the Holy Spirit! Therefore you now have dominion over sin because of Jesus! He set you free so you can live and walk free right now in him! You no longer bound to walk like the old man! Walk according to the new man in Christ by the Holy Spirit! Believe it because it is written!
Bible Scripture Reference
- What Does It Mean To Be Baptized Into Jesus Death? | Romans 6
- Romans 6:3-7
- Baptized Into Jesus Death | The Old Carnal Man Dies
- Romans 5:12
- Romans 6:20
- 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Hebrews 4:15
- Romans 8:3-4
- John 10:17-18
- Matthew 27:26
- John 19:1
- Mark 15:15-20
- Hebrews 12:2
- Romans 6:3
- Don’t You Know You Were Baptized Into Jesus Christ Death?
- Romans 6:3
- Romans 6:7-14
- Romans 7:1
- Romans 7:1-6
- Colossians 3:1-10
- Think That The Old Man Is Buried With Jesus Christ
- Romans 12:2
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Colossians 1:13-14
- Colossians 3:10
- Romans 8:7
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5
- John 10:5
- Hebrews 4:12
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Mark 14:49
- Luke 22:37
- John 6:44-45
Be Blessed In Jesus Name
👉 You can support what God is doing in this ministry on social media by giving likes, commenting, inviting others to check out the content, and by following! This helps the algorithm get this Bible based content about Jesus to others!
👉 Ask God about giving here and what you’re able to give/sow cheerfully! If you’re unable to give cheerfully here. Then please take that seed and support another member of the body of Christ based on God’s leading.
👉 Subscribe to the JesusBelieverJD Newsletter as well to stay up to date!
👉 Checkout the JesusBelieverJD store!
👉 Thank you and be blessed in Jesus name! 🙏 😌 👍 ✝️ 🙌
Spread The Good News By Sharing
When a person is born again through Jesus Christ the old man passes away and they are created a brand new man in Christ. God now wants them to live according to everything Jesus accomplished for them. So what is putting off the old man and putting on the new man according to the bible?
In a portion of the Bible, it speaks about Paul’s thorn in the flesh and how he asked God for it to depart from him three times. The thorn didn’t necessarily depart but rather God’s grace and strength were sufficient for him. We should all be aware of what this thorn actually was according to
One day I heard my dad talk about Jesus coming to fix the brokenhearted. At that moment the Holy Spirit breathed upon what was said and I suddenly understood this revelation from a fresh perspective according to the Bible. What does it mean Jesus came to heal the brokenhearted? At the fall of man, the
Proverbs 11:29 seems like a short mini parable at first glance but this verse is filled with so much secrets that only those who seek will find! So what exactly does Proverbs 11:29 mean when it says, “He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the
Every person after the fall of man is born in this earth with the sin nature. (Except for Jesus of course) Therefore they are a slave to sin and bound by the fear of death. God loved the world so much that He came up with a solution to get rid of sin and get
Jesus jumps right into action with miracles, signs and wonders in the book of Mark in the Bible. That being said have you ever wondered what Jesus said specifically in red verse after verse in the book of mark? What is every red scripture that Jesus said in the Gospel of Mark American Standard Version Bible? Jesus